Lockdown Golf - What you doing?

Just wondered how everyone is keeping sane, fit, and their golfing eye in during lockdown?

1 Like

Speed training, chipping in the garden, putting
And When it warms up next week I’ll step up into full swings in the new net and get yardages using my garmin g80. Def want to hit the ground running when we finally get out lockdown…

1 Like

I have a large coconut mat in the garage, gives a very similar feel and look to (brown) grass! I stretch an old sheet between two chairs then hit practice sponge balls (Callaway do some orange ones) into the sheet. Useful for trying out some different swing ideas and just keeping the relevant muscles working. That plus stretching and resistance for a few minutes every day (I use an old “chest expander”).

Keeping sane is another matter!

p.s. here’s a tip for proper clubface contact that I have dreamed up. The most critical element at impact is the shape of your leading wrist. If your hands are behind the ball (the back of the lead wrist is concave in shape) you have lost your maximum speed, acceleration and stability before hitting the ball. When your hands are ahead of the ball the wrist is bowed rather than cupped, the clubhead is reaching its maximum speed and still accelerating, and the clubface stays on line for longer. Focus on that wrist position and your impact will improve. In my case, I picture myself hitting a top spin backhand at table tennis with my left hand - also helps if I keep that bowed wrist as much as possible on the backswing.

I’m going to try this but feel like I would either top it or do a major hook!!

The image I am trying to have is of keeping the back of my left (leading) hand facing the target and not rolling over to face downwards. I need to have the wrist bowed towards the target so my hands are ahead of the ball at impact. I’m hoping this will mean the clubhead is accelerating and at higher speed when it hits the ball.

1 Like

After the first lockdown I found that I’d almost forgotten how to play, how did I take away, hand position, starting the down swing etc. So getting back into the swing of things ,excuse the pun was difficult. This time around (as a Senior and high handicapper,) I left a driver and a wedge in my kitchen at the back door. So whenever I went to the garage or dustbins,I took either of the clubs to practice a swing. About 5/7 practice swings and that is worth doing for me so that when I get back,its not such a bind and we/I can get playing half decent as it were.

1 Like